It’s National Peach Month! Peaches are a favorite summer treat – here are a few fun facts:
- The peach originated in China and is the world’s largest producer.
- Although Georgia is known as the Peach State, California produces more than 50% of the peaches in the United States and grows over 100 different varieties.
- There are two main types of varieties:
- Freestone — the flesh does not stick to the pit, so it is easy to remove the pit by hand. These varieties are usually sold fresh.
- Clingstone — the flesh “clings” or sticks to the pit. These varieties are usually used for canning.
Enjoy this sweet treat and stay healthy this summer! Get more information about finding your perfect peach and some delicious recipes here: https://snaped.fns.usda.gov/seasonal-produce-guide/peaches