April is Celery Month! Celery is fat free, saturated fat free, low sodium, cholesterol free, low calorie, a good source of vitamin C, and a good source of vitamin A. Here are 10 ways to enjoy it courtesy of the Produce for Better Health Foundation.
1. A Quick Appetizer. Stuff stalks with low-fat cream cheese and sprinkle with paprika.
2. Can You Eat the Leaves? Yes, You Can! Instead of throwing them away, use them in soup, stuffing, salad and other cooked dishes.
3. More Veggies for Your Stews! Pump up the nutrition in your soups and stews by adding chopped celery. Adds a little crunch too.
4. Tacos! That’s right! Celery adds just a little more crunch to these tasty California Avocado Tacos!
5. Celery & Spinach. Do a little something different with your spinach salad. Combine diced celery, shredded carrot, cooked pasta, bell peppers and corn. Serve over a bed of spinach and top with your favorite low-fat salad dressing.
6. Texture for Tuna.Add a little texture to tuna or chicken salad. Mix together chopped celery, mayonnaise or mustard, and tuna or chicken. Serve over whole wheat bread or a toasted English muffin. For an extra kick, add a dash of hot sauce to the mixture.
7. An Easy Side. For an easy side dish, braise celery in vegetable stock and season with your favorite herbs or a little bit of salt and pepper.
8. Celery Salsa! Heat oil and stir in garlic, tomato, celery and onion. Pour in tomato juice and bring to a boil. Cook until onions and celery are tender. Stir flour into the salsa to thicken. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Serve with baked tortilla chips.
9. Stir-Fried Celery? Absolutely! Use celery in your next vegetable stir-fry. Heat a little olive oil and sauté chopped celery, carrots, broccoli florets, onions and bell peppers. Add reduced-sodium soy sauce and serve over brown rice or in a whole wheat pita.
10. Ants on a Log. Add peanut butter to the inside of celery and top off with raisins for a quick, fun, and nutritious treat! Also, try switching the peanut butter out with hummus.